Hamamatsu Museum of Instruments

Sat, 31 Jul 2004 14:19:06 +0200

Calin Tantareanu wrote:

> [...]
Hmm.. not sure we are on the same page here. I mean the width of the
contact area of the bridge along the length of the stringss.  There is a
very marked gradual changing in this width, expecially noticeble  in the
top section where the highest notes had as much as  3 - 4 mm     more
string length in contact with the bridge then the lowest notes of the
section. You dont see it so well in the picture as I'd hoped when I took
it. Looked like a concious effort to vary the length of the string
segement in contact with the bridge. Tho I've seen that before... it has
never been so pronounced.  Just got me thinking about what effect this
has on the transmision of the strings vibrating energy to the
bridge/soundboard. Off hand I would think a shorter width would provide
a bit stronger clamping since the front and back bridge pins would be
nearer each other, but why would this be needed in increasing degree
through the lower part of the two top sections ?

Cheers
RicB