Tuning for violinists

Sat, 31 Jul 2004 14:28:43 +0200

When I run into instrumentalist, including the occasional pianist, that
are so little aware of basic tuning realities, I like to put them on the
defensive right off by saying something to the effect that it is sad the
music majors in our time are no longer required to learn some basic
physics about the tuning of various instruments. If they insist on an
explanation I simply refer them to some literature on the subject and
explain its too detailed a disscussion to effectively teach in the
course of a few minutes, assuring them that if they do take the time to
do some reading they will understand.

Heck... I even run into very accomplished pianists that never could
understand why the top (undamped) notes keep on ringing when you
play..... go figure.  Sometimes I wonder just what beyond technique and
somebodys idea of music interpretation they teach at some schools.

Cheers
RicB