Ringing Notes Without Dampers

Paul McCloud pmc033@earthlink.net
Sat, 31 Jul 2004 05:59:15 -0700

I recently replaced the dampers on a Baldwin M.  The customer complained that some of the notes would not dampen after she let go the keys.  She is an accomplished player, organist, and teacher.  I paid a visit, only to find that the keys in question didn't have dampers.  She was unhappy with the situation, so I devised this simple solution.  I asked her if she had any cloth or felt that I could cut and place on the strings.  She gave me some soft flannel cloth, which I cut to fit on that upper treble section.  I covered the speaking length except for about 1/2" near the capo where the strike point is.  The result is that the notes sound fine, but there's no sustain (obviously).  She was very happy with this.  She could play the note, but the long sustain was gone.  She wanted to have all the notes end at the same time when she played staccato, and this seemed to work.  FWIW.
Paul McCloud
San Diego

Paul McCloud
pmc033@earthlink.net