Seek information regarding piano shop business

Rob Goodale rrg@unlv.nevada.edu
Thu, 4 Mar 2004 10:23:23 -0800

Hello,

In order to "Get to the point" and not wander into tangents I am =
directing these specifically to those who are currently or have in the =
past operated a legitimate piano shop.

Although there are numerous technical details to be worked out we are at =
last actually working in our shop.  I do however have some important =
business questions to address immediately.

1.  What types of insurance are you carrying and how much?  What risks =
do you willing/not willing to take?
        A.  Property (real-estate)
        B.  Liability  (Contents including pianos)
        C.  Liability (human)

2.  Your business is registered as what and why?
        A.  Limited partnership
        B.  Sole proprietorship
        C.  S-Corp.
        D.  Other (explain)

3.  Your arrangements for working with local dealers is:
        A.  Hourly
        B.  Pre arranged estimates
        C.  Flexible depending on the job
        D.  Other (please explain)

4.  What special understandings/arrangements do you have with dealers, =
(liabilities, call-backs, completion dates, etc.).  Any extended =
insurance agreements with dealers?  (i.e. extending a rider on their =
insurance at your expense or possibly sharing expenses?)
        (brief answer)

5.  Above two questions in relation to private non-dealer clients

6.  In pertaining to private clients, what has proven to be the most =
important clause(s) in rebuilding contracts?

6.  What have been your biggest problems, (not technical- =
administrative, insurance, contractual, etc.)
        (brief answer)

7.  General recommendations/problems/recommendations

We recently had a two hour meeting with an attorney to discuss the =
various aspects of setting things up and now have an upcoming meeting =
with our accountant to officially establish the business.  We then have =
a second meeting with our attorney to finalize the wording on =
contractual agreements.  Any comments and experiences appreciated.

Thanks

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV