New Tuner

Avery Todd avery@ev1.net
Thu, 04 Mar 2004 17:08:19 -0600

Tim,

That's the course I started with about 30 or so years ago. Back in those
days, the PTG "sort of" endorsed some correspondence courses. (They don't
anymore, BTW). They didn't endorse that one, so I changed to Aubrey
Willis' course, which I don't think is even available anymore.

My recommendation, even though it will definitely cost you some money,
is to go with Randy Potter's course.

I learned some good things from that course, but I learned even more from
Aubrey! If you'd like to ask me anything more, feel free!

My recommendation, in addition to ANY correspondence course, is to align
yourself with a good tech who's willing to help train you and work for free
in their shop to learn! That's one of the biggest reasons why experienced
techs rarely take someone on to train. Too many young techs think they
should be payed to learn and they learn just enough to make themselves
"dangerous" and then tell clients that "so and so" trained them! And then
they do a bad job and the other tech gets blamed for it!

Does a university pay you to get a degree? I don't think so! :-) I worked
for free at a dealership for quite a while when I was learning! Eventually,
I got good enough that he started paying me!

Just out of curiosity, where are you located. Post privately if you'd prefer!

Avery