order assembly

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Thu, 4 Mar 2004 17:01:12 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe And Penny Goss" <imatunr@srvinet.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2004 7:43 AM
Subject: order assembly

> Hi Wim and all,
> Case,
> The action model ( grand ) and/or ( upright )
> has been readied for the RPT test.
> Is there an order of assembly that saves time?
> Gettin ready!
> Joe Goss
> imatunr@srvinet.com
> www.mothergoosetools.com

    It may not save time, but it's easier to assemble the grand action model
if you (just as in a real piano) first put the key and trial punchings on
the key pins, then screw the action brackets/rails to the mock keyframe.
Then screw the wippen and hammer shank to their rails.  Don't screw the
keyframe to the keybed until the very end, as you'll be sliding it in and
out as you check and adjust things.  Don't forget to deal with the damper.
    With the upright, it's not completely disassembled, but do check
tightness of all screws.  Put a trial balance rail punching on, install the
key, go through whatever other checks you would do for maximum and minimum
key height in a real piano, then put the "action" in and regulate it.  I
just gave away a point or two.
    --David Nereson, Chief Examiner, Denver Chapter