the mass of the brass is a gass

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Thu, 04 Mar 2004 22:05:39 -0600

>Wudya charge her?

$40. It was a guess. The brass weight wasn't worth that, but knowing where
to kick it certainly was, and the result was worth twice that for the 5
minute installation. Where to draw the line? If I could have made a neat
looking installation on the back side that did precisely the same thing,
I'd have probably charged $60.

>And don't belittle those old nasty Acrosonics too much - they were among the
>best of those crappy little pianos - maybe next best to the Yamaha spinet
>(just serviced one today - dog-gone nice little itty-bitty piano).

Durn betcha. This one was just extra nasty in the low tenor.

>So now why did mass make a difference down there? I thought mass only became
>improtant in the high treble?
>
>Terry Farrell

Nope. The assembly wasn't stiff enough there, so the impedance was too low
- Impedance being a combination of stiffness and mass. To some degree, you
can counteract lack of stiffness in the bottom half of the scale with added
mass and raise the impedance enough to make a difference. If the difference
is enough, you win. If not, no amount of mass will do the trick, and you
have to either come up with a way to stiffen the assembly there or put up
with it. Unless it's the string scale.

Ron N