New Topic: Bass Cantilever Bridges

Sun, 7 Mar 2004 19:52:27 -0800

Nice pictures Ron.  Do you have a shot of the bass float which is not covered up by the plate?  I am also curious about how far you had to move the hammer line for the tenor bridge and whether that created any other problems that needed to be overcome: e.g. action ratio problems?  And why is it, by the way, that tuning stability is compromised in a bridge that combines wrapped bi-chords and plain wire tri-chords at its end.  This discussion was touched on briefly a bit ago as to why, exactly, the low tenor of many pianos is the most unstable part of the piano for tuning.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

----- Original Message -----
From: Overs Pianos
To: Pianotech
Sent: 3/8/2004 3:23:03 AM
Subject: Re: New Topic: Bass Cantilever Bridges

At 12:41 PM +0000 7/3/04, Michael Gamble wrote:

Hello List and Calin T who said (inter alia):
"3. Use a floating soundboard - which I think is the most useful approach. It was used by many French piano makers, especially Pleyel. Ron Overs has a really interesting article on his about a Yamaha grand where he floated the bass area of the soundboard."
    Yes, I have a feeling that Ibach used the floating soundboard principle in their "double-overstrung" 5ft. +- grands. Thanks for the info. I am hoping now that Ron O. will comment - or give me directions to the article you mention.

The article is at;

http://overspianos.com.au/g2.html

This page has links within the text which will take you off to satellite pages relating to the same project. Mind you, I haven't re-read it to check that I still agree with what I wrote back in 2001.

Ron O.
--

OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
   Grand Piano Manufacturers