Mason & Hamlin upright

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@noos.fr
Mon, 8 Mar 2004 19:16:30 +0100

Re: Mason & Hamlin uprightI guess I'll again will give the impression of a
very frustrated guy, but :

a : these spring add a springy feel at the end of the stroke, so the pianist
tend to play a tad stronger to override that sensation, then he produce less
dynamic range.
b : they eventually are getting you in trouble against checking and hammer
coming back at rest
c : then its easy, you regulate the rail so the springs don't act anymore
but then :
d : the added mass they provide on the jack is slowing the jack - for the
kind , U shaped I refer to.
d : the only remaining solution is to get them out.

I am unsure as I did not seem much of them recently on Seiler, Saunter,
Pleyel, but a locas piano shop in Paris is providing them and have a patent
on a U shaped spring they install as an option with a dab of glue on the
vertical part of the jacks, and this model I see regularly and find it is
useless anyway.

I am unsure that I have seen others that where installed on a rail and
pushing on a felt located on the jack, but, even if the sensation look
pleasing at first, after farther analysis one realize that there are too
many drawbacks to the slight faster jacks return they provide - mostly the
touch change the dynamic properties of the instrument too much.

Well another take by

Isaac OLEG (TM)