Tuning experience

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Mon, 8 Mar 2004 22:15:33 -0600

Dear Friends:

Let me introduce you to the Dampp-Chaser system, with undercover ...

Maybe double the thickness of the undercover! And sell them a canvas
piano cover, too! And a concert stage environment box. And .... No,
wait. A really good Korg or Roland keyboard may be in order here. Or one
of those glass soundboards. Or a boombox with some CD's ... <G>

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: Phil Ryan [mailto:pryan2@the-beach.net]
Sent: Monday, March 08, 2004 7:26 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Tuning experience

I was tuning a C7 in a  theatre pit (aboard a ship) today.  I was told
it was OK to tune as long as I didn't mind riding up and down on the pit

elevator. They were testing it.   "Sure, why not!"  What an eye-opener
for sound and temperature!  As I started tuning in the pit, the sound
was bouncing all over, real easy to hear, hitting me in the face,
bouncing around, but as the piano (and I) rose up into the cavernous
theatre, the sound magically disintegrated and strained to fill the
room.  Shortly I felt the wrap-around feeling of the cool air
conditioning surrounding me and the piano and subsequently saw the
red-lights on the SAT starting to run clockwise.  Then the elevator
started downward and this phenomina was repeated again in reverse. A
couple of times doing this was a real eye-opening experience in
accoustics and piano stability.  FWIW.

Phil Ryan
Miami Beach

---