My Headache, Your Quiz

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 09:35:06 -0600

MessageThis reminds me of the time I was called to tune a grand piano.  =
While scheduling the appointment the customer expressed shock and horror =
at my fee, but went ahead anyway.  When I got there, I still heard about =
the shock and horror, how wonderful Mr. What's his name was (he tuned it =
every year), and I sensed general distrust and suspicion of me. =20

Ugh.  I was there, I was going to work.  I tuned away, when I got up to =
the upper treble section I heard a strange clinking noise.  I removed =
the fall board and inside there was a set of car keys sitting on the =
piano keys.  I summoned the owner and asked if she was missing some keys =
and pointed to where they were.  Her eyes about popped out of her head =
and told the story of getting a new car--TWENTY YEARS AGO--when her =
daughter was a toddler.  The little girl was playing with the keys and =
suddenly, nobody could find them.  They looked everywhere, including =
taking apart the duct work in the house.  Never to be found, they had to =
go to the trouble of getting new keys.  Well, as a parent, that would be =
memorable.

Then she asked me how I found them.  "I heard them while I was tuning."  =
So, either Mr. What's his name didn't hear them, or he didn't bother to =
investigate.  Gee, they were only in there for twenty years.  Well, I =
was no longer treated with suspicion--I have no idea if Mr. What's his =
name was still held in high regard.  :-)

Barbara Richmond, RPT
somewhere near Peoria, IL

  ----- Original Message -----=20