Piano Humidity Control System bashing

Andrew & Rebeca Anderson anrebe@zianet.com
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 17:33:03 -0700

Present yourself as the professional and that you are covering your bases
by presenting the system as a proven means of reducing maintenance on the
piano, protecting it from climate swings.  Sort of as a way to avoid
malpractice charges ;-)  If the customer doesn't want the system, that is
their mistake and they will pay for it over time.  I leave a brochure with
every client I serve.  If they ask, I tell them about it.  If they argue I
don't pursue.  If they are concerned about heat etc. I point out that I
only install systems with the smart-heater-bar that will not come on
without moisture reaching it (all eight watts of it).  The other bars only
come on under the control of the humidistat and have less power than the
average light bulb spread out over much more area.
Have a take-or-leave-it approach.  Argumentation is always a lose lose
situation.  Either you are the expert or you aren't.  I have mentioned that
there have been systems in the past that had problems and that a frayed
cord coming out of a piano should be considered suspect.  DC is well
established, improved, and the system has been favorably reviewed by Kawai.
BTW you should charge retail markup on all products you sell.  I used to
sell them at cost plus labor, and I always came up short.

FWIW
Andrew