***Re: Nine foot something - quickie hammer centre check

Kevin E. Ramsey kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 18:47:10 -0700

OK, I haven't read all the posts, but now I think I know what you're =
talking about. Locked up flanges on Samick pianos, when you re-pin you =
see black stuff on the old pins, right?  I've seen a lot of this, like =
whole actions or damper underlevers locked up so tight that you can hold =
up the underlever parallel to the floor, supporting even the lead =
weights while you're holding the flange. Roger says it's an application =
of graphite gone bad.  I talked to one of their service reps who once =
told me that there was tallow in the felt, and that if I just got a =
hair-dryer in there and worked the flanges back and forth, they'd free =
up.  He also said that the flanges must have been exposed to heat at =
some time for the tallow, which may be like the lanolin normally found =
in wool, to condensense onto the pin. Funny, when I looked at some of =
the pins under magnification, it looked like a plating problem to me to. =
I work for a dealer who sells samicks, so I'm the one to go out on these =
kind of calls a year later. I've also talked to one or two other techs =
who did a repin job, only to have the problem return a year later.

It's still a problem, but we're seeing it less and less.
Kevin.

I'm hoping that I'm not responding to something else, but this is a =
problem I'm well aware of, anyway.
  ----- Original Message -----=20