***Re: Nine foot something - quickie hammer centre check

Thu, 11 Mar 2004 08:53:49 +0100

Roger Jolly wrote:

> Hi Ric,
>              It's not plating since Samick uses Stainless steel
> centres.  The pins have been scored by the excess graphite that has
> been used on the bushing cloth.  The  quality of the graphite was also
> an issue. They stopped using graphite about a year ago.
> The Renner parts will still have a light coat of graphite on the cloth.
>
> Regards Roger

Well you would know Roger,  and graphite was my first guess.  Renner
claims to this day that their research department has firmly established
that there is no detrimental effects to using graphite... tho I
experience problems time and time again with graphited bushings. With
teflon powder available, you'd think there would be an incentive to at
least offer an alternative... but no.  You can argue your way into
getting them to supply you with non graphited parts.. but its not the
easiest thing to do.  Graphite is one of the reasons I generally repin
from the get-go if I am doing a really  important piano. Too many times
with too many woes when graphite is involved.

Cheers, and thanks for the clarification Roger

RicB