***Re: Nine foot something - quickie hammer centre check

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Thu, 11 Mar 2004 11:07:05 -0500

Hi Keith,

<<I go with a four gram flange friction target. Is there any advantage =
to having the friction of the flange change with the weight of the =
hammer? Maybe in the bass it should be a little tighter, more stress. >>

If you gauge friction by the number of swings of the hammer, then the =
lower/larger hammers would automatically  end up with tighter pinning.  =
Since this is the traditional approach to hammer flange friction (which =
apparently has worked well), my guess would be that flange friction =
*should* be graduated from bottom to top, as you suggest.  Using a =
spring gauge, you would probably need to graduate between the two ends =
of the keyboard, so that the top has approximately half the friction of =
the bottom.  (Correct???)

Peace,
Sarah