Damper lever felts, dents in

Dean May DeanMay@PianoRebuilders.com
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 06:27:53 -0500

$2 for 2 minutes?

You've got way more than 2 minutes invested in fixing this problem. You
fussed with it the first time you were out. You thought about it when you
went home. You wrote a post to this list to tap into the collective wisdom
here (how much is access to that database of knowledge worth?) and carried
on a dialogue about it. You drove back out to the customer's house, pulled
the action, diagnosed the problem, fussed with finding the right tool, fixed
the problem (multiple problems, actually, including eliminating
"clunkyness"), and reinstalled the action.

You are an experienced technician. People are paying you for your skills,
knowledge and ability to solve problems, including where to go for
additional knowledge. Your customer does not have the time or inclination or
resources to solve the problem. You do and that is what he is paying you
for. And that is what you should charge him for, not for the 2 minutes it
took you to turn the spoons.

I will now step off of my soap box.

Blessings,

Dean