humidity control and house fires

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 07:21:41 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Avery Todd
Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2004 8:37 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: humidity control and house fires

And it was probably a brand called Moisture Master. In all
my years, I've never yet seen one that was working when I
went to tune the piano! Thankfully, I "think" they're out
of business now! I hope???? :-)

Avery

Avery,
	I usually find the "moisture masters" working just fine.
Typically in January in New England installed by the hanging wires
usually next to the elbows in a Betsy Ross. They were a knockoff from
the late American Piano Supply Co. and although they offered a
humidistat in their catalog I've never seen one actually installed.
	I purchased many fine products from American over the years, but
it's curious that the presence of one of these "imitation" units would
often go hand in hand with Hall-O-Shame repairs.
	 I found the catalog amusing. They did not offer a humidifier
component because in their terms "Raw" moisture was not recommended.
Maybe "cooked" moisture would have been better!
	For those not familiar with Americans legacy, they did have some
products not available from the other houses---large screws, more
hardware selections, hinges, ferrules etc and the usual stuff along with
a somewhat unique view on customer relations.
	Tom Driscoll