Voicing the CFlll

Jerry Cohen emailforjc@yahoo.com
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 09:09:09 -0500

Ric,

This is just a guess. If the "string noises" can only be heard on the
recording and not with live playing, even in the new smaller location,
perhaps the problem is with the recording equipment, and not the piano.
Perhaps try a slightly further microphone placement.

String noise is similar to slight overload distortions that can easily
occur within a microphone or electronics. Digital electronics is not
very forgiving with even the slightest overload. Just a thought.

Jerry Cohen

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Richard Brekne
Sent: Friday, March 12, 2004 7:52 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Voicing the CFlll

As long as we are on the subject matter of voicing critical instruments
in critical situations it might be good to get into the rest of tone
building. Phil mentions some sense of distortion at FFF below and of
course its possible that this has really nothing to do with needling
hammers..... so.... by way of example maybe you all can offer some good
advice to the following problem as well.

I have a Steinway C that has been functioning very well indeed in a
concert location at the University of Bergen and now its been moved into

a studio like room for use as an instructors instrument and recording
instrument. The acoustics are of course different, but when recorded
this instrument yields a host of string noises that are not at all
evident when siting with the instrument either playing or working on it.

After listening to the tape there are several very shortlived but
obnoxious sounds right at the attack instant on very loud play that need

to be worked out. Some might be phasing problems, some outright string
buzz... perhaps a bit of just about anything you can name.

Any suggestions as to how to go about cleaning up this pianos tone so
that even the most sensitive recording situation is satisfied would be
most appreciated... and might give Phil a few good pointers at the same
time.

Thanks in advance
RicB