Hammer position

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 14:39:55 -0400

Hi List,

I am replacing a set of hammers, on a Heintzman Concert Grand. Someone had
previously replaced them improperly, so I have to start from scratch with
new shanks and hammers.

I have been able to get the tenor section ok by trial and error, where there
was no doubt as to the location, by moving the selected ones up and down the
shank, till the 'sweet spot' was found.

However on the bass, the A0 is giving me grief, I move it and I can't hear
any substantial difference.

 I got out the Verituner, and using the spectrum feature, I observed the
results as I moved the hammer position.

The fundamental is not the strongest, and the strongest partial changes from
P5 - P7 as I move the position of the hammer.

My ears can't hear this difference, what should I go for, the maximum lower
partial, or the higher partial?
I am thinking lower.

Has anyone any suggestions as to what I should do to optimize the position
of the hammer in the bass?

Best regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada