Concert hall work

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Sat, 13 Mar 2004 10:11:07 -0500

At 8:21 AM -0600 3/13/04, Barbara Richmond wrote:
>Perhaps if I strike that pose (especially if I could
>come up with a beard to stroke), I could put it so eloquently.  :-)

No, that pose is what you strike when answering another tech's
question. The pose when negotiating your package is this. Give them
your cell phone #, and a minute into the conversation with them, ask
them to hold off for a moment 'cause you have to tee off for the
fourth hole. Tell them that while you're a successful piano tech in
high demand, you're at the point in your career where you can't let
it affect your golf game.

>All I know, is that if I am indeed faced with the situation, somehow
>I need to be able to make those pianos *mine*.

That's a given. If they want the benefit of your work, they'll know
not to let anyone else muck around with it. That's their part of
"making the piano yours". Your part is giving the piano qualities
that management never dreamed of.

That's the easy part, easier than coming up with an accurate
prediction of how much all this work will have cost at the end of
this first year pilot program. Believe me, the piano will need far
less the second year.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Lydia thinks she knows everything, and Lyle thinks he owns the place"
     ...........The outgoing staff technician to the new guy,
concerning the resident artiste/pianist and the Chief Custodian