for your (radical turn)

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sat, 13 Mar 2004 15:57:07 EST

 Cy asks:
<< Do you always tune "Representative Victorian", or do you pick a different
HT based on the piano and its players?  I've heard HTs can make spinets, in
particular, sound better.

  For introductions, I usually keep the thirds below 18 cents.  This means
the Moore and Co., Broadwood's Best, or Coleman 11.  I used  to use the Young,
but since that carries a full comma into the F# and 19 cent thirds on the B and
C# triads,  there were too many instances where this amount of dissonance was
too much for the beginner.
   Now, it is not uncommon for those that were introduced to non-ET with a
mild Victorian level of color to become interested in more contrast.  A recent
customer told me that she was going to be playing almost exclusively Bach for
the next year. I suggested a WErckmeister for historical reasons and she had
herself an epiphany.  She also mentioned that a Ravel piece she occasionally
polished up sounded terrible !
  Much of my tuning is ET, but that is in the professional venue where the
piano is used for everything.  ET is a great sounding tuning for late model
music, an OK tuning for the late Romantics and a (imho) poverty-stricken
intonation for Classical and Baroque.  WT's are just the opposite! Even though there
are several well-repected jazz artists around here that prefer a Broadwood, I
think ET really does shine for a lot of 20th century jazz compositions,(Cole
Porter and Bill Evans stuff comes to mind).
  The whole question is one of taste, and there is no right or wrong when it
comes to subjective tastes.  However, I do think it is a huge mistake to avoid
investigating what other tunings can add to music that was very likely
written on them.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT