Kimball La Petite

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Sun, 14 Mar 2004 00:20:39 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Tvak@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, March 13, 2004 11:10 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Kimball La Petite

List

The piano in question: a Kimball La Petite.
The dealer in question: infamous for rhyming with fiasco, among other
things
The question in question: Purchased less than a year ago as a new piano,
the treble bridge has tiny cracks near the pins on the speaking side.
These cracks look just like the cracks you find on that 75 year old
upright, emanating sideways from the pin in the direction of the
pressure exerted by the string.  They're not big cracks, but they're big
enough to be noticed while you casually tune a piano.  Pressing on the
bridge pin doesn't seem to change the tone in any way, so I think the
bridge pins are still secure in the bridge.

And, truthfully, it doesn't seem to affect the tone at all: no false
beats to speak of.  But I wonder in another 10 years if that will still
be true.

First of all, is this a problem that should be addressed?  Is it a
manufacturer's problem or a dealer's problem?  Who makes Kimballs
nowadays?  Would it just be easier for me to soak a little CA in there
next time I tune it and just shut up?

The owner of the piano, an elderly blind gentleman, has been with me for
years and is a good client.  I didn't mention anything to him yet.

I thought I'd get a little advice first...

Thanks in advance,
Tom Sivak
Chicago

            Tom,

              New piano?  Kimball has been out of production for several
years now.

            I have several of these in my practice and there all
difficult at best and usually worse.

            In this case I'd tactfully attempt to find out what the
selling price was.

If the piano is meeting his needs and the price was low, I'd probably
keep my opinion to myself.

We can't "educate" every piano owner who has made a lousy
purchase---dealer deception or not.

            On the other hand, if he's having problems with his new
little gem and/or the price was exorbitant I would support the clients
claim for a credit toward another piano or a refund and expect the
dealer to take me off his Christmas card list if not worse.

            These situations are almost always a no-win for the
technician

            Tom Driscoll