Roto ZIp- Shop tips

Fred Brown fbrown3@mindspring.com
Sun, 14 Mar 2004 22:04:04 -0500

Hi Dale,
your adivce is rather timely as I am about to put a plate back in an 'M' and
will need to replace the desk guide that I took out on tear down. How do you
get that close to the rim to clean the mortices?
I am also planning to use the roto zip with a spiral blade to float the bass
portion of a neww sound board that Terry Farrel has done for me.
Fred Brown RPT
ATL GA

   _____

From: Erwinspiano@aol.com [mailto:Erwinspiano@aol.com]
Sent: Saturday, March 13, 2004 10:56 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Roto ZIp- Shop tips

    List
  I've never found any use for the darned thing till today.  I was staring
at the rib notches of an S&S B before installing the board & thinking I have
to clean those a bit more. I dislike this part of belly work.  Scraping &
steaming etc. I was thinking quick fix.  So I whipped out the roto zip with
the spiral blade thingees & router like end & using it in a flat
configuration was able to clean & rough up the notches a bit in about 5
minutes. I just layed the length of the blade in to the notch & & presto
chango it was done!
  Also I'm always cleaning the slots of music desk guides to fit the new
glides after a string /belly job on a Steinway. I usually use a thinned out
chisel with moderate success & nashing of teeth but this little hummer
cleaned it up pretty well in short order & was very controllable.
  ANy others have a use for this tool?
  Good day
  Dale

Erwins Pianos Restorations