Keeping A440

Mon, 15 Mar 2004 07:05:14 -0800

Institutional heating and air conditioning.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 3/15/2004 4:44:35 AM
Subject: Keeping A440

Greetings,

             I have a new customer who is head of a music department. Claims she gets all the pianos tuned 3 times a year: All newer (1980+ -) Yamahas. One is a grand C7.  I found them all around 8 cycles flat!  I find this difficult to fathom. Yet the tuner's card is inside the piano with all the dates written on it.

              I am really having a hard time believing that these pianos were actually brought up to pitch at each tuning. I own a Yamaha. They hold a tuning (In my home anyway). The pianos are only used about 10 hours a week more than a residence. What could be causing such a drop?

rookie
Julia Gottchall'
Reading, PA