HELP - WHICH ETD?

Mon, 15 Mar 2004 20:11:38 +0100

Lori Levens wrote:

> Hello,
>     Looking for suggestions and opinions for purchasing an Electronic
> Tuning Device.  Really appreciate some guidance from those of you who
> have experience.  SAT's (WHICH model)?  Veritune?  Peterson? What
> about buying used?  Where might I find a good deal on a great
> condition used ETD?  Thank you in advance for helping me narrow my
> choices!  Lori

Depends on what you want to use them for. Verituner will do everything
outside of turning the pins for you. SAT and CyberTuner are a  rats hair
behind, and have a couple features of their own. Tunelab will require
more from you, especially Tunelabe 97. The Peterson out and out requires
you to know a fair amount of tuning theory in order to put it to real
good use... but really... its just a step behind Tunelab 97 in this
regard.  All of them do as good a job as you could ever need at
referencing any particular frequency. The real difference in these is
how each of them arrives at the frequencies for each note of the piano.

If you want to use an ETD to simply make sure that your tunings match
the partials you want them to ahead of time... then I'd suggest Tunelab
97 or the Peterson.... Tunelab is cheaper but requires a PC.

If you want an ETD to calculate all those frequencies for you as well...
then these first two wont do at all.... and you need to choose either
the SAT, Verituner, or Cyber Ear.   The SAT is the lightest, longest
battery life and all around easiest to deal with in most regards.  Cyber
Ear has the advantage of being software based... which means you can
port it to new hardware as time goes by... but upgrades to the software
are expensive and the software protection is not at all user freindly
IMHO... tho it does come with a few goodies that are nice to have and
instructional to be sure.  Verituner has the most sophisticated tuning
curve algorithm, tho it is heavier then the SAT, a bit larger and not
nearly the same battery life.

My suggestion is Tunelab 97.  Use it to learn how to make your own
tuning curves... to learn the underlying reasoning for single partial
curves, and to gain deeper understanding into tuning theory.  It is by
far the least expensive, and has the potential for doing just as good a
job in the end as any of its more sophisticated cousins.

Cheers
RicB