Kawaii sonstenuto click

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 13:47:02 -0600

List,

My favorite piano teacher's Kawaii 500 (5'8", ca. 1970) gets tuned every 4 months, and often has a surprise puzzle for me.  (the last one was a mysterious buzz, whcih turned out to be my lost screwdriver blade sitting on the plate)   Today it was the sostenuto.  When she plays the Schubert Serenade, with octave bass notes held with sostenuto followed by staccatto chords above.  As the sostenuto pedal begins to release, but before it releases the damper underlevers, there is a click.  Sometimes.  Intermittently.  It can be duplicated with the action out, lifting the underlevers by hand.  It doesn't have to be the same combination of notes.   I couldn't hear where it was coming from.  I lubricated the pedal, rod, trapwork, monkey pivot, and blade pivots, which eliminated any background noise allowing her to really focus on the annoying click, but couldn't find/fix the click.  If I'd had more time available, I would have pulled the blade to inspect, clean, and lubricate it and the tabs.  Any thoughts?

thanks

Mike

Michael Spalding
spalding48@earthlink.net