Beats vs cycles vs cents

Jean-Jacques Granas jjgranas@zigzag.pl
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 20:51:06 +0100

Hello one and all,

Dare I suggest (and perhaps live to regret it) that beats, with all =
their imperfections for tuning purposes, are nevertheless a natural =
acoustic phenomenon that exists whether we are there to hear it (or tune =
the stubborn thing) or not.
Cents on the other hand aren't something you actually hear, are they? =
When I tune in the deep base (the last 4-6 unisons, depending on the =
piano), I don't listen to beats of course, because otherwise In would be =
there all day. I just find the place where the octave or fifth sound =
most pleasant, with occasional help from friends in the 3rd  octave, but =
is what I am hearing 'cents'?
After all, 100 beats to half a tone (or thereabouts) it is only a scale, =
like 1000 meters to a kilometer, 12 inches to a foot, or 5, .... feet =
(what was it?)  to a mile.
Or am I missing something ?

Peace-Paz-Paix-Pok=F3j
Jean-Jacques Granas