Beats vs cycles vs cents

antares antares@euronet.nl
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 21:41:16 +0100

On 16-mrt-04, at 20:51, Jean-Jacques Granas wrote:

> Hello one and all,
> =A0
> Dare I suggest (and perhaps live to regret it) that beats, with all=20
> their imperfections for tuning purposes, are nevertheless a natural=20
> acoustic phenomenon that exists whether we are there to hear it (or=20
> tune the=A0stubborn thing) or not.
> Cents on the other hand aren't something you actually hear, are they?=20=

> When I tune in the deep base (the last 4-6 unisons, depending on the=20=

> piano), I don't listen to beats of course, because otherwise In would=20=

> be there all day. I just find the place where the octave or fifth=20
> sound most pleasant, with occasional help from friends in the 3rd=A0=20=

> octave, but is what I am hearing 'cents'?
> After all, 100 beats to half a tone (or thereabouts) it is only a=20
> scale, like 1000 meters to a kilometer, 12 inches to a foot, or 5,=20
> .... feet (what was it?)=A0 to a mile.
> Or am I=A0missing something ?
> =A0
> =A0
> Peace-Paz-Paix-Pok=F3j
> Jean-Jacques Granas
> Warsaw, Poland

Hello Jean-Jaques,

Allow me to say something about beats.... and especially in regard to=20
tuning the deep bass :
The contra bass and sub-contra bass we can only tune scientifically and=20=

precisely with the aid of counting beats.
Of course I am talking about ET.
In Japan I have, for the first time in my life, learned to tune a bass=20=

very but VERY exact with the aid of listening to the beats of an octave=20=

and a minor seventh and without an ETD.
Counting the beats was essential in making the most perfect aural=20
tuning possible. Listening with musical ears is a VERY great help. but=20=

can be misleading when it comes to a more scientific approach.

my two beats

friendly greetings
from
Andr=E9 Oorebeek