Foot-Operated Drill Press

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 18:39:45 -0800

Philip J. asked: "Does anyone have a photo of a foot-operated floor-model
drill press =
set-up? I'd like to use one for hands-free pinblock drilling and wonder =
how best to rig it.

Philip Jamison

Philip,
I've been using "Dead Man's Switch" for several years. I love it! I got it
out of a woodworking catalogue, (don't remember which one). These are now
available all over the place, where woodworking tools are sold. It's added
into the circuit, between the main power cord and the wall socket. It's also
a good safety thing! However, try to get the one that has a "toe cover".
Mine does not have one and I find myself, accidently stepping on the darned
thing at inappropriate times. I've kind of cured this problem, by adding a
master switch to my drill press. I keep putting off getting more of these
thingees for my other stationary power tools. The "Dead Man's" feature is
the way to go, safety-wise as well, just in case you happen to get tangled
up in the machinery, it'll turn off!
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares Are I