acrosonic, Baldwin

Wed, 17 Mar 2004 05:47:29 -0500

Alan-

In addition to the suggestions you've already received, take a look at the
condition of the damper felt, which, if original, is somewhere between 45
and 55 years old.  It's typical, especially for the single string (low
bass) dampers, to respond to drying out (thus hardening), by an
unmistakable "slappy-buzz" when returning to the string.  This loss of
resilience could also permit the over-ring you notice.

David Skolnik RPT
Hastings on Hudson, NY