acrosonic, Baldwin

Wed, 17 Mar 2004 15:29:45 -0000

Hello List, Alan M et al. who say, collectively:
"OK, for arguments sake, let's say the overring is not due to improper =
damping of the strings.  What then?  I've had a few of these instruments =
that just keep going with this kind of deep resonance, after all playing =
has ceased and all the checks for improper damping show zip.  What else =
could it be and can it be stopped?

William R. Monroe
Assoc.
Madison, WI
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David Skolnik=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 4:47 AM
  Subject: Re: acrosonic, Baldwin

  Alan-

  In addition to the suggestions you've already received, take a look at =
the condition of the damper felt, which, if original, is somewhere =
between 45 and 55 years old.  It's typical, especially for the single =
string (low bass) dampers, to respond to drying out (thus hardening), by =
an unmistakable "slappy-buzz" when returning to the string.  This loss =
of resilience could also permit the over-ring you notice.

  David Skolnik RPT
  Hastings on Hudson, NY