Floating soundboards

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 10:47:30 -0500

Jean-Jacques,

Sounds like you planing a lot of work on this Bluthners. It would be a
good idea to check for plate cracks before investing more time and
money. Most every Bluthners from this era I have seen had plate cracks
of one sort or the other. Check the area were the struts intersect with
the webbing near the agraffes. If you see something funny and are not
sure what it is rub your finger over the area and feel for sharp edges
or slight lateral shifts.

It's amazing how many technicians are unaware of these plate cracks,
until of coarse they get worse during rebuilding or they find that some
one in the past has added steal bars to the plate from underneath and
has dug deep trenches in the pin block. I have been to many music stores
and rebuilding shops were there are some of these old German grands
proudly rebuilt for sale with high price tags as well. Almost every one
with a cracked plate - some with as many as five cracks. The methods
used to hide the defects are not effective past the first couple of
tunings and soon become visible to the trained tech.

I was called in to examine one of these pianos, the client purchased it
with no knowledge of the cracks and his technician who had been tuning
it for years never saw them. I delivered the bad news and returned home.
A few months later the client call me to say he had been awakened in the
night to a load report - the cracks had all extended through the bars.
The piano and his considerable investment were gone!

John Hartman

--
John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos