vertical regulation time

John M. Formsma john@formsmapiano.com
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 17:01:55 -0600

Michael,

> Did the client stand you Lunch?

No, I always bring a sack lunch to save money. A $5.00 lunch every day
is well over $1000 per year.

> Saturday timing is standard + about 10%

Thanks for your input. I'm getting faster each time, and I really enjoy
regulation - it's fun!

> Was the piano worth spending that amount of time on?

Yes and no. It's for a dealer. The piano had some sluggishness and notes
that actually stuck. So, the piano had to be playable, and the best
thing to do for this one was regulation and the reconditioning I
described earlier. Blow distance was 2 inches, key level was not great,
key dip was greatest in the middle at 11.5 mm, dampers lift at the first
of key travel, etc. It's not a great piano, but not terrible either.

> Prime thing to remember is....
> 1.  This is how you earn your bread and butter.
> 2.  You may discount your fees against future business in
> this instance
> but...
> 3.  You are a professional.
> 4.  You charge professional rates.

Yes, I agree. I had asked an RPT in our chapter about this, and he
suggested $20/hr, but I was thinking more around $30. Normally, I charge
around $50 after the first hour, again, depending if it's something I've
done before or if I'm learning as I go.

Thanks again.

John Formsma