Schoenhut Kids Piano

Joel Jones jajones2@facstaff.wisc.edu
Sat, 20 Mar 2004 11:45:06 -0600

On 3/20/04 6:20 AM, "MKurta" <mkurta@adelphia.net> wrote:

>     Hi Bill:
>     I just "rebuilt" a Schoenhut toy grand, here's what I found.  The old
> sound rods were in such bad shape, that I bought a new assembly from
> Schoenhut.  Strangely enough, they had new ones.  However, they were sadly out
> of tune, maybe thats the charm of a toy piano-to play slightly out of tune.
>     Using my Accutuner, I plucked each rod to check its pitch.  To raise the
> pitch, as Sarah said, I ground off a bit of metal from the end.  Be very
> cautious as a little metal means a lot of change.  To lower the pitch, I
> soldered a small amount of solder on to the end of the rod.  Be generous here,
> as you can file this off to come down to the proper pitch.  It takes a bit of
> time as I found each one to need correction (as in a piano) but it will sound
> great when you've finished.
>     Good Luck,
>     Mike Kurta

Mike,
Is there a toy tech class in your future?    Always looking for unique yet
practical topics for the Institute.
     Thanks for your tuning tips.  A student brought one to the shop needing
keys and case work.  He wanted to play a composition that included  a toy
piano .  Glad to know pieces/parts are available.
    Look for you in Nashville.
Joel
--
Joel A. Jones  RPT