There's always a hitch

Mark Dierauf mark@nhpianos.com
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 11:35:00 -0500

I would think that you might expect slightly better tuning stability
with this system. On large pitch changes there's no way that the tension
of one string of a unison can effect the other strings as might be the
case with normal strings looped around a hitch-pin. Having all three
strings the same length from hitch-pin to tuning pin can only help. My
thinking is that once set up it might save significant time during the
factory stringing process by having all strings pre measured for any
given scale.

- Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Lamos [mailto:selahpiano@hotmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, March 21, 2004 9:02 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: There's always a hitch

List,
    I prepped a Kohler & Campbell grand (KCG-650) the other day and
being of little knowledge I was wondering what is the point of having
all the treble wires each individually tied off on their own hitch pin.
Surely it can't be tuning stability(?).  Or is it intended to save $$
for those that habitually break strings?  You know, better to break just
one than two.

Confused but peaceful,
Peter Lamos
Brunswick, GA