Peace (OT)

Kevin E. Ramsey kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 16:48:29 -0700

Andre, this may surprise you, but in many regards I agree with you =
whole-heartedly. A religious discussion does not belong in a public =
forum where we are all of differing view points.  If you do or do not =
choose to believe in some form of God, that is fine, and you should be =
left alone. If you do believe in a creator, if you will, then you should =
have the same respect afforded you, and not have people throw their =
opinion that their faith is a source of evil in the world. I'm not =
saving that you have ever done this, I don't remember this ever =
happening, and I believe you are of too gentle and thoughtful a =
persuasion to be that callous. Having said that, the problems with =
religions today is not from the religions themselves, if indeed they =
were the teachings of a higher being, but by the people who have failed =
to get the message, and have perverted it.  When someone stands up and =
says he's religious, or believes in a supreme being, more often than not =
he's just stating who he or she is, and what they base their principles =
upon.

A very well thought out post, by the way.=20

I would be more than happy to see this topic go away myself..

Kevin E. Ramsey

  The Bible is a book, written by religious people for religious people, =
people who believe in a deity and a heaven and a hell or what ever.
  These same religious people also believe that non-believers should be, =
no, must be, converted otherwise they, the non-believers, go to hell.
  A religious experience, a mystical experience, is a very personal and =
private matter. It is understandable that somebody who has had a deeply =
religious or deeply mystical experience very much wants to share his or =
her exaltation.
  Unfortunately, the people who are so deeply religious, do not want to =
get it through their religious skulls that there is a vast group of =
other inhabitants of this planet who can not , do not, and shall not =
share the same religious or mystical experience. (Maybe so called =
non-believers will have there own mystical moment in time, but that is =
another matter)
  These same religious people are not dumb or stupid, so they do =
understand that there are others with a different opinion, but the =
irritating truth often is that they do not want to let others have a =
free and un-hindered life, a life in which they can have their own =
experiences and and there own developments, without the egotistical wish =
from believers to proselytize and forcefully convert innocent beings.
  Again I say, read our history books and you will come to the =
conclusion that most wars were fought because of religious intolerance.=20
  Look at the Roman games where the early Christians were murdered by =
Romans who did not share their vision, look at the endless torture and =
prosecution of the inquisition in the middle ages, the invasion of the =
moors in Spain, the crusades into the 'holy land', the endless wars =
between the protestants and the catholics, the hateful murders committed =
by totally INtolerant muslims who want to just erase every non-muslim.
  I live in a so called tolerant country and I wish to be tolerant. I am =
tolerant towards all kinds of political movements, to all kinds of =
religious groups. All I want is peace and happiness for my fellow =
humans, and all I expect is the same tolerance towards the fact that I =
may be of a different opinion.
  So please, do not choose this email forum as your religious platform =
and try to understand that your personal religious experience should be =
shared not on this list but among your own co-believers, just out of =
respect for people who might think otherwise.
  Thank you for your tolerance, OK?

  Andr=E9 Oorebeek

  Amsterdam -
  The Netherlands