Good Advice, but still nervous

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 23:35:59 -0800

Brian said: "I have a client who's Kimball Console piano hammer rail has too
much
travel when the soft pedal is fully depressed.  In other words, it gets
too close to the strings, making the keys play very sloppily and
inconsistent.

I have received good advice from my mentor regarding how to limit the
forward movement of the hammer rail, but I am still nervous on how to
combat the problem and eliminate the excess travel.

The customer has indicated that when the pedal is pushed down 1/2 way,
she can play the piano with much better consistency...it feels better,
not so sloppy.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this situation?

Thank you.

Brian,
There are two places where you must put a "stop" to the excessive hammer
rail travel. 1. At the pedal. 2. At the rail. Both must work in tandem.
Addressing one without addressing the other creates problems.
I use "hammer skivings" to make a stop for the rail. This is placed on the
rail, so that it will butt against the action bracket. Also it needs to be
as close to the vertical rod, center of force, as possible. For the pedal, I
would use a softer, Thick felt, that will reduce the pedal travel and not be
noisy. I hope this helps eliminate your consternation.<G>
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares Are I