Voicing for a big, dead hall

Tue, 23 Mar 2004 09:29:29 +0100

You might take a look at how heavy the hammers are. I know there is a
lot of back and forths on this subject, but as far as my experience
takes me there is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that heavyier hammers
impart more carrying power to an instrument. If you have light
hammers... say hammers on a munber 7 curve... then its likely you will
have problems getting that big boomy sound that has the brilliance and
fullness you want.

If thats the case... a nice little experiment is to temporarilly add
about 1 gram of mass per hammer via those clips that Pianotek sells with
Stanwood kits. Attach and ask folks to play and listen in different
parts of the hall.

Otherwise, as Andre and others have alluded to... you are after anything
else that can increase power.  Closer letoff, deeper dip, longer blow
distance are contributors to this... with all the tradeoffs  implied.
:) Andre has a cute trick with back checks that somehow increases the
fullness of the sound... but I'll let him get into that.

Cheers
RicB