Voicing for a big, dead hall

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 08:09:58 -0700

At 08:44 AM 3/23/2004 -0600, you wrote:
>Guy,
>
>Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm not sure I understand about the blocks
>under the stage truck.  (Sometimes, well heck, most times, I'm a bit dim and
>need things spelled out.  I'm trainable, though!)   And, wherever those
>blocks are placed, are you talking about just for regulation or performance
>also?

Barbara,
    If the piano is on a stage truck, try leaning on the arms in a
bouncy-kinda way. You'll see the piano move down and up. Springing on the
truck. That's misplaced energy, when playing. For the average stage truck,
a small block tapered from 20-40mm will wedge in under the foot of the
truck and provide a "grounding" effect for the piano. (both front legs)
It's kinda like driving pins. A pin block jack to the keybed is good, but
another from the keybed to the floor is even better. "Conservation of
energy" may be called a law, but by doing that we imply that it can be
broken, or negotiated, or otherwise manipulated. The only thing that makes
it "law-like" is the punishment for ignoring it. Energy doesn't disappear,
it just gets changed. How it gets changed is up to us.

Later,
Guy