iron frame painting

Cy Shuster 741662027@charter.net
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 16:05:25 -0600

It's my understanding that every string termination should be closely =
examined to be in as good a shape as possible.  I've seen articles =
(probably in the Journal) describing the cleaning and polishing of each =
hole in the agraffe.  If they show wear, they should probably be =
replaced (holes oval rather than round, etc.).  Similarly, the capo =
d'astro area should be checked for string grooves, and should be =
properly re-shaped if necessary.  I believe some people even weld a new =
rod in place here.  You can search for previous articles here: =
https://www.moypiano.com/ptg/pianotech

Anything else to consider while the strings are out?  (Cracks in the =
struts, obviously...)

--Cy Shuster--
Rochester, MN
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Rob Goodale=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 3:01 PM
  Subject: Re: iron frame painting

  Do yourself a favor:  REMOVE the agraffs and buff/polish them to look =
like new.  Make a template to keep them and their associated spacer =
washers in correct order when they are removed.  Don't worry about the =
hitch pins.  Do this right and it will be highly rewarding and look like =
a million bucks.

  Rob Goodale, RPT
  Las Vegas, NV

    Dear list.
    We have to paint an iron frame.
    This is first time we do it.

    Shall we cover the hitch pins with paper for not cover them?
    How about the agraffe? it can cause damage if painting reach into =
their holes? can it cause bad sound? should I cover the agraffes as =
well?
    If not painting, how agraffes can be cleaned?

    Should I use a lacquer after painting, or just the spray-aerosol is =
enough. ?

    Thank you.=20

    Coello