audience throws off pitch

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 16:12:49 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wally Scherer" <afinetune@yahoo.com>
To: "pt" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2004 9:48 AM
Subject: audience throws off pitch

> Continuing with the theme of factors in the auditorium
> that throw off the pitch, like stage lights, I had
> this experience a few years ago.

So, does anybody else have anything to say about stage lights and how long
it takes to throw off a tuning???

I DO remember walking into the auditorium the morning *after* a recital, to
find the piano open and the spots had been left on all night.  Obviously,
the stage crew had left early!   The lights had been on for 12 hours and the
piano felt......warm.   My reaction was to walk into the nearby telephone
booth and change from mild mannered piano technician into *Dragon Woman*.
It never happened again (leaving the lights on, that is).  Maybe it was dumb
luck, or fear of a woman who could breathe fire.  :-)

Barbara Richmond, RPT