audience throws off pitch

Alpha88x@aol.com Alpha88x@aol.com
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 20:33:01 EST

Greetings,

           Yes, I have had the following experience: I was in piano tech
school practicing tuning in a tuning booth (we used to call them tuning "caves").
Booth consisted of a sound proof glass windows floor to ceiling with a glass
door. These booths are actually pianist practicing chambers used in
conservatories, but our school used them for tuning practicing chambers.

            I was practicing my tuning. I had been in the booth for 6 hours
with a small ventilation fan on. As a green rookie, I couldn't figure out why I
was having so much trouble getting the piano's octaves to match. Finally, I
was "done". When I opened the door it was so much cooler and less humid in the
hallway. My own breath had been making the humidity to rise all during that
time. I took a break and went back into play the piano and sounded horrible!
(like I hadn't tuned it at all) Here, the door being open during my 20 min break
had equalized the humidity and temperature in the room and it had changed the
tuning. Lesson learned.

             Yes, it can happen.

Jullia Gottchall,
Reading, PA