voicing etc again

antares antares@euronet.nl
Fri, 26 Mar 2004 20:28:36 +0100

On 26-mrt-04, at 18:36, Richard Brekne wrote:

> Delwin D Fandrich wrote:
>
>> Most of the things you can do to a piano to give them POWER and make=20=

>> the
>> PROJECT will also detract some from their musicality.
>>

> Kinda depends on what working definition of power we are dealing with.=20=

>  The kind of power and projection that Andre is talking about, and=20
> creates routinely has everything to do with musicality.

My aim is to go to the limit of the instrument, without killing the=20
natural possibilities of the instrument.
As some of us know, there are several ways to get to the limit of any=20
instrument.
If we are talking about grand piano's we have :

a superb instrument with....
a superb hammer
a superb action
a superb concert regulation
the right position of the action parts (like the backchecks that=20
Richard referred to in a former e-mai,l and for instance the right=20
front punching)
A superb tuning
A voicing that can bring out all the available powers in the hammer head

If all this has been done and the instrument still does not give the=20
desired strength or power, amplification indeed is the very last=20
answer.

>> Personally, I've just about quit going to large concerts --=20
>> especially in
>> "dead" halls -- and have walked out of others for just this reason.=20=

>> The
>> piano gets pushed beyond its musical limits and I've grown tired of
>> listening to the hard, brittle sound that generally is the result of=20=

>> trying
>> to "get this baby to sing."
>>

> I agree.  I am becomming more and more convinced that this has to do=20=

> with a misunderstood concept of what voicing is all about. In fact,=20
> the more I get into this the more I feel it is very much an art form=20=

> with 9 toes in the endangered species zone.  It is possible however,=20=

> to get very much power out of a piano, very much brilliance, without=20=

> the harsh crashy sounds that many of us have come to regard with=20
> disdain.

Exactly. With the right material and the above way of treating an=20
instrument, we can bring any piano to its musical limit.
Voicing a piano is the most difficult of the entire piano industry. To=20=

be able to voice an instrument, so that one gets the most out of it,=20
requires a vast experience in regulation and tuning first of all.
Regulation experience gives us an insight in the mechanical limits, =20
and tuning thousand of piano's will teach our ears 'what's right and=20
what's wrong'.
Voicing will bring out the best in both the instrument and the=20
technician.

>> Perhaps we also should adapt the credo, "first, do no harm...."

>> Del

"where music is, no harm can be"

friendly greetings
from