removing key bushings

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@noos.fr
Fri, 26 Mar 2004 22:56:18 +0100

Before steam, soften the glue with a 3/1 Alcohol - Aceton - water mix.

Sometime the mix is enough.

Vynil glue usually react to acetic acid , that soften it, a friend use
oxalic acid on a rag with a hot iron (don't smell the fumes). Said me
it work fine, I did not try that one myself.

Hide glue , or fish glue , anything you will be able to unglue easely.

Isaac OLEG

-----Message d'origine-----
De : pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]De la
part de John M. Formsma
Envoyé : jeudi 25 mars 2004 17:39
À : Pianotech
Objet : removing key bushings

List,

1958 Baldwin Acrosonic.

Removing key bushings, contending with some kind of nasty white glue
that's a pain to remove.

Have tried steam, which works OK. Am currently online searching the
archives (and PT Journal CD ROMS).

Is there a good solvent for this stuff? Is it PVC-E, perhaps?

If anyone has had success with removing this adhesive, I'd appreciate
input.

Also, what would be a good adhesive for the bushings when I'm ready to
install them? There's a bunch of residure from the old stuff, so I'm
thinking either Titebond or PVC-E.

Thanks,

John Formsma