Plywood soundboard

James Grebe pianoman@accessus.net
Sun, 28 Mar 2004 08:55:47 -0600

Hi,
Many of these were sold under the name, Alex Ludwig, by Ludwig Music =
House in St. Louis.  The soundboard appeared to be Luan plywood.  The =
glued used to laminate it was a rubbery stuff.  They actually used the =
same wood for their packing crates.  Does that tell you anything.
James Grebe
Piano-Forte Tuning & Repair
Artisan of Wood
WWW.JamesGrebe.com
1526 Raspberry Lane
Arnold, MO 63010
pianoman@accessus.net
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: George Bartlett=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, March 27, 2004 11:30 PM
  Subject: Plywood soundboard

        I am looking for some info on a Rudolph Wurlitzer.=20
  I tuned one of these babies three months ago, and discovered that =
that's as long asthe tuning lasted.=20
  It went terrbily out and dropped in pitch.
  Observed a plain plywood {laminated} soundboard with no lacquer,  =
varnish of any kind. The piano went so far out in the three month period =
that I suppected that the soundboard had actually twisted. I could not =
find any signs of any structuual damage and the tuning pins were very =
tight.
  Any advice on these instruments....customer needless to say is very =
concerned ...
  George