Pianodisc, Midi files and such

Mon, 29 Mar 2004 07:59:07 +0200

Alan Forsyth wrote:

>>From "Auld Reekie" to Old Riccy,
>
>...."Last I checked in Norway a full player and record install cost about 60
>grand Norwegian.... to the customer...which works out to about 8500
>USD".....
>
>Okay, so that works out more or less the same as what we have to pay here.
>but do you think it is worth the money for what it does.

In a word... nope.

But then.... I am not the guy or gal that buys these things.  Some
people feel they are really worth every penny and get lots of enjoyment
out of them, others simply dont know what to do with their money.... but
for whatever reason... its the customers decision. The unit does what it
does at about what it costs in parts and labour to do it I suppose. I
dont really think anyone is getting filthy rich here.

>Can such an amount
>really be justified considering the range of synthesizers, electronic pianos
>and digital midi recorders out there that are so much cheaper, even though
>they don't quite serve the same purpose. I know the price of Pianodisc may
>be inflated for us because we have to go through Pianodisc Europe and when
>there are a whole lot of middle men involved the selling price inevitably
>becomes distorted. Perhaps this is the reason I have as yet not come across
>an installation. Plenty of Disklaviers around though.

Course these other keyboards really are different puppies entirely....
tho I get your point.  I'm a licsensed PD installer myself and have
about 50 units under my belt... tho its been a while now.  Its a part of
the buisness I can easily do without, and in a way I am glad they are
not so popular here.

>Leaving you in pieces,
>Alan Forsyth
>calling from "Auld Reekie"