Henry F. Miller 9ft...

Dean May DeanMay@PianoRebuilders.com
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 15:04:20 -0500

As I recall, those screws tighten a split sticker that traps itself around a
pin in those rocker capstans. You don't have to take the screw all the way
out, just loosen enough to separate the split and pull it off the pin. And
yes, you have to do all 88. Not for the faint hearted.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of pianolover 88
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2004 12:43 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Henry F. Miller 9ft...

Henry F. Miller 9ft concert grand, circa 1890. Dilemma: How to remove the
action (stack) from the keys? In addition to the standard action bracket
screws, it looks like EVERY single key is attached to the action with a
screw. I'm recounting this from memory, as I will be seeing this piano again
tomorrow. The keys also have those obsolete "rocker" type capstans. For
those who are familiar with this type of configuration, will I have to
loosen all 88 screws in order to lift the action off, or is there another
way; I'm concerned about getting the action back on correctly once I take it
off, because all those tiny screws will have to be aligned to each key. If
anyone prefers it, I can email you a specific pic showing the connection
point of the action to the keys if this will help. Thanks in advance for any
help in this matter.

Terry Peterson