another cracked plate question

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 23:53:16 -0600

The broken plate was repaired when quite new?    Sounds like someone
shucked a warranty issue.  3 cracks "repaired"?  How were they
repaired...welded?    You discovered another crack, yet you did not hear
a crack or pop or thunk?
A Baldwin A, what size is this?  They (clients) are quite attached to it
but let many years go by before tuning it?   In that case perhaps it
held its tune very well at half a step low. How out of tune was it with
itself when you got there?  Tune it half a step low and see how it
holds.
  I tuned an old Emerson 1880's upright, and afterward tied a bass
string.  It was then I discovered a hairline crack right across the
plate just below the keybed, yet the tuning was good. I told them about
it and told them to call if it went out of tune right away.  Its been
two or three years.
	Out on the farm here in South Dakota I have over a dozen old
uprights in several piles out in the trees.  The latest edition, an old
Beckwith, I decided to see how strong the plate was.  I toppled it off
the end of the pickup.  I picked it up with the tractor loader and
dropped it again.   I nudged it upright then took out the action, keys
and keybed. The plate was intact.  I pushed it over backward and then
took the loader and placed it on the middle of the plate and pressed
down lifting the front end of the tractor off the ground.  The plate
still did not break with all this force at its weakest point and weakest
load bearing. I might get a video but then it will probably break, but
at least that would be recorded and we could hear how it sounds.   Hmmmm
maybe the thing was half a step low....

	Richard Moody

	"To be surprised, to wonder, is to begin to understand."
Jose Ortega y Gasset (1883 - 1955); Spanish philosopher.