Balance Rail Holes - Worn

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 07:14:23 -0500

Is there any danger using a hard-wood veneer like maple that it might be =
noisy? Is there any preference to use something a little softer - like =
maybe fine-grained spruce or poplar?

Terry Farrell

> Hi Terry,
> I have had great success repairing this type of damage using maple =
veneer. Mount a balance rail pin in a scrap board, position key upside =
down and saw a kerf the thickness of the veneer about 1/4 inch deep =
using the balance rail pin as a guide. Glue the veneer in this kerf and =
you will have a permanent repair. I can't remember which manufacturer's =
rep suggested this repair to me but it does work.
>=20
> Norman Barrett
> Memphis Chapter
>=20
>=20
> Hello Listees,
>=20
> I'm rastling with the keys and keyframe of an old, well worn, WNG =
action. I'm trying to decide what to do with the center keypin key =
holes. I have limited, as best, experience repairing key center pin =
holes. The picture below shows the worst of the obviously worn keys. I'm =
just kinda feelin' that these are past the point of gluing in a shim. =
Waddaya ya'll think, and what is the latest and greatest regarding =
rebuilding a key center rail pin hole? Thanks.