kerfed bridge

Wed, 31 Mar 2004 10:07:27 -0600

Listers,

I know I should get out more, but yesterday I saw something gnu.

Older Estonia grand (made in USSR days) had kerfing at, and crossing the
bottom of the bridge, about 5-6mm deep, which extended for about three or
four unisons either side of the top struts. The bridge also makes gentle S
bends there to lessen big length jumps.

Why the kerfing?

Any other makes do/did this?

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician
Vox-(563)-387-1204 // Fax (563)-387-1076

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

---Wm. Shakespeare - Merchant of Venice